Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Cupid: (xo)

Time and aging, while we are young, seems incredibly linear. As children we look up to the adults in our lives and see them in the next stages of our lives. We are born, we age, and then we die. However, early in life (hopefully) we realize that, instead, we live lifetimes and lifetimes inside of that line. Jobs, relationships, friendships, residences, and all our other experiences seem to be births and deaths themselves.


My name is Colin Cunningham. For whatever reason I've chosen to take on different names through my many lives. These names have included Akh, Archer, Ash, Skippy (Yes, Skippy.), Cole, and Cupid. These names have served their purpose in labeling each lifetime. Each name belongs to an era in this one, singular line. Always holding onto the name Colin, but adding a nickname given to me by a friend or family member.

Cupid, son of the goddess Aphrodite, was never able to love anything except himself, and instead, preferred to watch love flourish around him. Ever-concerned with his presence and his looks, Cupid's insecurity was reflected by his judgement and lack of compassion for other people. To me, adopting the nickname Cupid for any reason was a forshadowing of things to come I should have realized before I have.

It would make sense that a culmination of these aspects, not the individual personalities, would make up a balanced individual. Take the carefree attitude of Skipp, the charm of Archer, the nerd of Ash, the complete balance and center of Akh, and the love for myself and others of Cupid; and combine those things back into my life. Stability is the next step in my evolution.

I'm learning to appreciate myself, my faults and strengths, the people around me, and the experiences they bring. It's so amusing to me when life comes full-circle and you can see the bigger picture for what it is. Every end is truly a new begining and the stories are never-ending until the day we die.

This sudden change is the Wheel of Fortune to my Hermit. It is the next logical step in this cycle, in this lifetime, in this experience. My perspective and relations were without a doubt unexpectedly changed. This time for the better. I'm pulled from empty, outgrown shell to live another chapter. Life never ceases to suprise me.

A page turned. Change again.

This is Cupid: (xo)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh colin you always do such a beautiful job of verbalizing your self-exploration. all i can say is... keep on writing. you are really talented lovie.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home